UNPACKING THE STRUCTURAL AND SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH
Objectives of Module 3
- Draw on our political economy analysis to deepen our conceptual understanding of the structural and social determinants of health, using the Eastern Cape province as a case study.
- Explore how land dispossession and the political economy of the Eastern Cape continues to reproduce, reinforce and replicate health inequities.
- Expand our understanding of systematic inequities and poor health outcomes and how these are expressly racialised, gendered and classist.
- Visit a series of ‘innovation labs’ to learn how some key social determinants of health are being addressed among communities and activists in the Eastern Cape, towards shifting health inequity.
- Draw on the lessons from the ‘innovation labs’ in developing our practice as leaders for social change, including the lessons for strengthening our SCIs.
- Support us in growing our articulation as thought leaders for health equity towards shifting mainstream, dominant narratives around the lived experiences of local communities in the Eastern Cape.
The Political Economy of Land
Activity 1 – Introducing Module 3
Activity 2 – The Political Economy of Land
Determinants of Health
Activity 4 – The reality of health inequity in the Eastern Cape
Activity 5 – SSDoH: A conceptual foundation through Vuyo’s Story